Sunday 9 October 2011

Nadal to face Murray in Japan Open final


TOKYO: Defending champion Rafael Nadal picked apart American number one Mardy Fish’s serve-and-volley game on Saturday to set up a a hotly anticipated final against Andy Murray at the Japan Open.


The world number two from Spain, playing his first ATP tournament since defeat in the US Open final last month, relied on his powerful baseline game to score a 7-5, 6-1 victory.


Second seeded Murray, fresh from victory at the Thailand Open a week ago, breezed by 2007 champion David Ferrer 6-2, 6-3 to book his place in Sunday’s final.


“I hope that I can play a fantastic match (in the final),” Nadal, 25, said after his victory.


“My opponent will be very difficult, so I have to play my best match if I want to win the tournament with the title.The match ended with another break when American fourth seed hit an easy forehand high volley into the net at 30-40 in the seventh game.


“I did a few things better today. I played closer to the baseline. I had a better feeling when I was playing long points from the baseline. When I had a chance, I was able to attack much better than I did yesterday,” said Nadal.


Meanwhile, Murray was satisfied with his performance after taking under 90 minutes to dispatch FerrerHe predicted a hard battle against Nadal rival acknowledging the Spaniard was playing good tennis.


“He is always tough. He won here last year, so he likes the conditions. I do like them (hard court). I grew up playing on them, so it’s surface I feel comfortable on,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment